Washington, D.C. — Today, Latino workers, environmental and public health advocates, and the mothers of two young men who recently died from methylene chloride exposure notified the Trump administration of their intent to sue the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency over its failure to finalize a ban on the use of this lethal chemical in paint strippers.
Washington, DC – Today, Congress took bipartisan action to protect drinking water from contamination by passing legislation that directs the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to allow airports to use firefighting foam free of highly fluorinated chemicals or PFAS. The use of PFAS-containing firefighting foam is responsible for drinking water contamination for millions of Americans.
Walmart announced today that it will phase out the use of the toxic chemicals methylene chloride and N-methylpyrrolidone (NMP) in paint removal products it sells in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Central America, and on walmart.com by February 2019.
Advocates call on Pruitt EPA to end delay, protect Americans from toxic products
Second U.S. retailer to act following multiple deaths and EPA inaction
Today the EPA released its long-awaited “problem formulation” documents for the first ten chemicals under review as required by the 2016 amendments to the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families’ Acting Director Liz Hitchcock issued the following statement in response.
Lowe’s Commits to End Sale of Toxic Paint Stripping Products; First U.S. Retailer to Act Following Multiple Deaths and EPA Inaction
Nationwide actions urge ban on toxic methylene chloride after four consumers died since EPA proposed restrictions.
Advocates call on The Home Depot to also ban toxic paint strippers containing deadly and dangerous chemicals
CHARLESTON, SC – At 31 years old, entrepreneur Drew Wynne’s life was cut short when he inhaled a toxic paint stripper containing methylene chloride, which he bought at Lowe’s to refinish a floor. Now his family is telling the hardware chain and other similar home improvement retailers to stop selling the deadly product to prevent another tragic death.