The Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families coalition represents more than 11 million individuals and includes parents, health professionals, advocates for people with learning and developmental disabilities, reproductive health advocates, environmentalists and businesses from across the nation.
Our coalition represents over 450 organizations and businesses united by our common concern about toxic chemicals in our homes, places of work, and products we use every day. The Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families coalition is staffed by a seasoned group of organizers that makes up Kitchen Table Campaigns team.
We are fighting for reform of our outdated toxic chemical laws, working with retailers to phase out hazardous chemicals from the marketplace and educating the public about ways to protect one’s family from toxic chemicals. Check out this informative internship with Safer Chemicals!
We are seeking a highly motivated, detail oriented Digital Communications Intern to work with a national coalition. This internship would be managed by the Digital Content Coordinator, Alesia Lucas, and would assist in a variety of tasks including: copy editing, blogging, research, event planning, social media. The Digital Communications Intern will be expected to work in our office a minimum of 4 days a week, Sep-Nov 2015. Intern will receive a small stipend at the completion of the internship.
Launched in 2009, the Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families coalition runs the national campaign to protect public health from toxic chemicals in everyday products. We’re challenging Congress to fix our broken chemical safety system by overhauling the obsolete federal law that allows toxic and untested chemicals in our homes and bodies.
Note: We will not provide housing. We recommend that you live DC Metro Area to minimize commute times and cost, as the intern is expected to work out of SCHF’s office in Washington, DC.
- Work on special projects including research and document preparation.
- Support of organizing efforts, event planning and social media management and postings.
- Responsible for research in preparation for blogs and action pages
- Authoring blogs for the coalition website
- Copy editing
- SEO assistance
- Perform other duties as assigned
Must be a current college student with relevant coursework in communications, journalism, English, or political science and a strong interest in environmental issues, public health and/or toxic chemical legislation reform.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exhibit a high level of attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software required
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to execute many tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently
- Strong preference given to candidate with experience with WordPress and Photoshop
- Ability to learn new skills and issue area
How to Apply
Email your resume, cover letter, and 1 writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org