A new seal is launching this month that certifies that consumer products are made without chemicals known to harm human health. With the MADE SAFETM (Made With Safe Ingredients) seal, for the first time, people know at the point of purchase which products are made without known harmful chemicals for use on their bodies, for their babies, and in their homes.
MADE SAFE literally means made with safe ingredients that are not known to harm human health. The process screens ingredients against its Toxicant Database of known harmful chemicals, which is made up of over 6,000 chemicals found on scientifically authoritative lists from organizations and agencies from around the world—including all of the ingredients on Safer Chemicals Healthy Families’ Hazardous 100+ list, the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics’ Red List, Silent Springs’ List of Mammary Toxins, and several others.
This means that MADE SAFE certified products are made without known carcinogens, behavioral, reproductive, and neurotoxins, hormone disruptors, heavy metals, pesticides, insecticides, flame retardants, toxic solvents, and harmful VOCs.
With over 84,000 chemicals in use today MADE SAFE doesn’t just prohibit the chemicals on “red lists;” it goes beyond to scrutinize materials and ingredients using modeling, predictive analysis and available science to see if there is concern for bioaccumulation (builds up in our bodies), persistence (builds up in the environment), and for aquatic toxicity.
Brands working toward certification of (some if not all of) their products with the MADE SAFE seal include Naturepedic for baby, child, and adult mattresses; Alaffia, Annmarie Gianni Skin Care, Just So Natural Products, SW Basics and True Botanicals for personal care; Rejuva Minerals for cosmetics; Pura Stainless for baby, kids, and sport bottles; Good Clean Love and Sustain Naturals for sexual health; and healthy hoohoo for feminine care.
There are a lot of certifications out there for consumer products, so what makes MADE SAFE different?
MADE SAFE is designed as a market tool to eliminate toxic chemicals in products altogether:
- It makes it easy for people to find and buy products made without known toxic chemicals, gives companies a road map to making safer products, and makes it easy for retailers to select products that aren’t known to cause harm.
- It applies to products across store aisles, from baby to personal care to household and beyond.
- The primary goal of MADE SAFE is to ensure that products aren’t using ingredients known to cause human health harm.
- MADE SAFE screens against our Toxicant Database with over 6,000 known harmful chemicals and ingredients.
- It goes beyond “red lists,” looking at bioaccumulation, persistence, and aquatic toxicity.
- It uses the Precautionary Principle: if there is considerable concern about an ingredient we don’t allow it in certified products.
- MADE SAFE works with companies in research & development to help them avoid using ingredients known to cause human health harm.
This certification aims to change the way products are made in this country, so that one day our children will never have to worry that products they use every day might cause serious health problems like cancer, infertility, or other chronic diseases. Here’s to our healthy future!