We’ve talked about this before: calling Congress seems old school, but it works.
The House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee may soon vote, for the first time in nearly 40 years on reforming our federal chemical system. The problem is, the bill they are voting on, the Chemicals in Commerce Act, well… stinks. And for that reason your U.S. Representative needs to hear from you.
We’ve been advocating for real reform of our broken chemical laws for years. With a strong scientific body showing links between exposure to harmful chemicals and health problems, we need government leadership more than ever. But the bill before the House would bring us backward rather than forward in the quest for real, meaningful reform.
So we need you to pick up the phone today and call your Member of Congress to tell them to OPPOSE the Chemicals in Commerce Act.
Here’s what you do:
- Find your Representative by putting your address in this handy district finder or call the Capitol Switchboard and ask them to connect you to your Representative: (202)225-3121
- Call your Representative and tell him/her that you’re a constituent and you want them to OPPOSE the Chemicals in Commerce Act and stand up for real reform that protects pregnant women and children from toxic chemicals.
- Sample message:
“Hi my name is _______ and I am a (insert something like mom, dad, aunt, nurse, community leader, doctor etc). I am very concerned about toxic chemicals in consumer products, the places we live and work and their impact on my family’s health.
I’m calling Representative ___________ to ask him/her to oppose the Chemicals in Commerce Act. We need reform that will protect pregnant women from toxic chemicals, not giveaways for the chemical industry.
- Send us a quick note letting us know how the call went at info (at) saferchemicals (dot) org.
- What public health groups are saying about the bill.
- Our statement on the bill.
- Details of what needs to be fixed in the bill, as outlined in our Director’s written testimony (this is for the nerds out there).