Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and what better time to say thanks to all of you fighting for strong laws on toxic chemicals. Here are the top 10 reasons we’re thankful this holiday season.
- You! We are grateful for your persistent effort towards a less-toxic future. Whether you show up for local events, email or call your Senators or use social media – you helped win a vote on the Safe Chemicals Act this summer. Thank you for your continued dedication, together we will win on the full Senate floor!
- Coalition partners. Our coalition now represents over 450 organizations and businesses dedicated to reforming our out of date laws on toxic chemicals. We are strong because we work together, thank you for being apart of this movement.
- Congressional public health heroes. There are too many to mention in this post alone, but we’ve got some great leaders in Congress championing the issue of toxic chemicals. A special hats off to the
lead sponsor of the Safe Chemicals Act, Sen. Frank Lautenberg and his 28 co-sponsors. Please take a moment to thank Senator Lautenberg!
- Safer Chemicals Blogger network. Our bloggers are amazing, what more can I say? For years this group of active bloggers have been spreading the word on toxic chemicals in our homes, safer alternatives and inspiring people to action. Are you a blogger interested in joining our network? Email me
- Wins at the state level. Many of our coalition partners have been working hard to pass laws at the state level. While Congress drags its feet, our partners have been working to address chemicals state by state. This has moved the market and pressured the chemical industry.
- Consumers moving the marketplace. Because of parents, bloggers, and state advocates, we have started to see some major movements in the marketplace. You can read more about how we’ve moved the market on the toxic chemical BPA here.
- Respecting our political differences. After coming off the heels of a nasty election season, we want to thank you all for respecting each other’s political views (we don’t have fights on Facebook for example, how wonderful!) Our coalition is diverse and represents people from all across the political spectrum. We take pride in the fact that our community focuses on what unites us, our quest for strong laws on toxic chemicals, rather
than what may divide us.
- Bravely sharing your stories. We have featured many people’s stories on our blog and I want to thank you for your willingness to share. It is personal stories — like when we heard from Linda about losing her husband to mesothelioma, Katy who recently lost a friend to cancer and CJ describing what it’s like to be a 32-year-old healthy woman diagnosed with cancer — that inspire us to fight for a future where we’re not exposed to toxic chemicals. Thank you.
- Your Patience. The road to federal reform is long and hard. We appreciate you sticking with us in this journey. It is worth the repeated phone calls and letters; we will win! (Hopefully we can have some fun along the way!) Encourage your friends to join the movement today.
- Our Campaign Director. Andy Igrejas is our fearless leader who spends his days doing the hard work keeping our campaign running and moving forward. To send Andy a brief thank you note, click here. Thank you Andy!