National Day of Action- August 10th, 2011
Safe Chemicals Stroller Brigades
Are you tired of trying to find safe products for your family? It seems every week we learn about a new toxic chemical in our homes. Hormone-disrupting chemicals in household cleaners, toxic plastic and nursing pillows. It is silly that we ask busy parents to carry “products to avoid” lists when they go to the store. I think we can all agree that chemicals should be proven safe before they end up in our products.
Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families and our partner organizations are excited to announce a National Day of Action taking place on August 10th, 2011.
Join moms in your state to show support for a toxic-free future! Moms across the country will be participating in local events to ask their Members of Congress to be leaders in protecting American families from toxic chemicals.
These child friendly events will feature activities from letter writing to sign making (fun for the kids). And we’ll even have red super hero capes for the kiddos to wear, asking their Senator to “be a hero and co-sponsor the Safe Chemicals Act!” Most events will feature a stroller brigade where you’ll walk to your Senator’s office to hand deliver letters of support for the Safe Chemicals Act. Be sure to bring your strollers and tell your friends!
This is a great opportunity to meet other moms, have fun with your kids, hear from local experts about how to protect your family and make a difference for future generations.
See if there is an event near you, tell your friends and please RSVP if you plan to attend!
** Please note this event is taking place Aug. 5-7th, rather than Wednesday, Aug. 10th
- Alaska Community Action on Toxics is sponsoring and staffing an
information booth at Salmonstock, a three-day event in Ninilchik, AK from
August 5-7, to raise awareness and call upon our Senators to support the
Safe Chemicals Act of 2011. Salmonstock is a family event with food,
music, and information to celebrate and help protect Alaska’s wild salmon.
- Contact info and RSVP: Pam Miller, email@example.com, 907-222-7714
Little Rock, Arkansas
6:00 PM on Tuesday, August 9th
- Village Commons at 1423c S. Main Street
- Contact info and RSVP: Neal Sealy, firstname.lastname@example.org, 501-346-9617
- Hartford’s Bushnell Park, near the Carousel
- Contact info and RSVP: email@example.com; 860-232-6232
- 301 North Walnut Street, Suite 102L-1, Wilmington, DE 19801
- Sign postcards and letters, kids put on capes
Brief address from event organizers
- 11:30 AM Walk to Senator Carper’s office
- 12:00 PM Meeting with Senator Carper’s staff
- Contact info and RSVP: Laura Henderson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Woodland Park: Meet at Woodland Park parking lot at the corner of Kentucky Ave and E High Street
- 10:15 March with strollers the the picnic shelter. Hear KY parents call for safer chemicals. Write your own letters and record video messages to our Senators McConnell and Rand
- 11:30 Send off a parent delegation to deliver the letters to our legislators
- Free snacks and fun for kids! RSVP and contact: Greg Capillo, email@example.com
- Downtown Portland at the Canal Plaza – the courtyard space in front of the offices of Senators Snowe and Collins
- Contact info and RSVP: Emma, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thames Street Park at the corner of Thames St and S Wolfe Street
- Gather for letter writing and then walk to Sen. Mikulski’s office to deliver your hand written letters. Capes available for kids!
- RSVP and contact: Heather Quick, email@example.com
- Boston’s City Hall Plaza
- Contact info and RSVP: Cindy Luppi, firstname.lastname@example.org, 617/338-8131 x208
- 12:00 PM – Meet at fish statues in Caras Park
- 12:00-12:30 PM– Hand-write letters to Senators Baucus, sign petition
& hand out capes for kids
- 12:30 PM– Walk to Senator Baucus’ office to deliver letters
- Contact info and RSVP: Cassidy Randall, email@example.com
New York, New York
10:30 AM – Gather at Greenacre Park
- 217 East 51st Street, NY, NY
- 11:00 AM- Walk to Senator Gillibrand’s office (780 3rd Ave)
- Contact info and RSVP: Bobbi Chase Wilding, firstname.lastname@example.org
- North Park Blocks
NW Park Ave
Portland, OR 97209
(Between Couch and Davis St – meet at the playground)
- Contact info and RSVP: Renee Hackenmiller-Paradis, email@example.com; (503) 222-1963 X 110.
- Here is a link to the location on Google Maps.
- 12:00 PM at the Mr. Rogers statue across from Heinz Field located on Allegheny Avenue
- From there we will walk along the North Shore and end at the fountains behind Hyde Park restaurant. Bring a few items from your child’s toy bin. We will have an XRF Analyzer gun on hand to scan toys and jewelry. You will learn exactly what metals are contained in your children’s products including lead and cadmium!
- We will also have capes for kids to wear. They can participate in the fun and ask their Senators to be a hero by supporting the Safe Chemicals Act!
- To register for free parking and RSVP, contact Michelle Naccarati-Chapkis, firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-420-2290
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- The Grace Musuem, 102 Cypress Street, Abilene, TX
- Swing by the Grace Museum and write a letter to your local Congressman Randy Neugebauer, sign a postcard and find out how to protect your family from toxic chemicals! Letters will be collected at 12:00 PM and will be hand delivered to Rep. Neugebauer’s office.
- Contact info and RSVP: email@example.com or 214.616.9007
- Location: 915 Second Avenue Seattle, WA
(In front of federal building where both Senators’ offices are)
- Contact info and RSVP: Ivy Sager-Rosenthal, firstname.lastname@example.org
206-632-1545 ext. 122